Before I was indoctrinated into the
I mean, ok, after trying to answer the 10th 'why' in a row must get a little tiresome, right? But surely is it not it wonderful that your child is so keen to learn about the world they live in, so thirsty for knowledge!? Wouldn't it be awesome and challenging to just keep answering the whys, one after the other!?
No.
Nope.
Its not great, or wonderful.
Actually, its quite annoying and shit.
And people like me who couldn't get why it was so annoying and shit should be
In our house there are two types of annoying whys:
Type 1: Zander Whys
In 97.567% of Zander's 'why' question cases its nothing about actually wanting to know why the earth is round or why the sun comes up and the moon goes down (actual questions, I was impressed), its actually just to wind you up enough to give him extra amounts of attention. Which I get because, you know, we are kind of busy with all these babies we have managed to spawn, and I can see how he wants to get that little bit of something extra going on. So its annoying, and the stage drove me crazy but deep down I could appreciate the little shit and what his game plan was.
Type 2: Evie wwwwwhhhhyyyysssss
In my daughter's case its actually just an automatic word that spews out of her mouth at any given occasion, whether it fits there or not. Almost always it is said in this downcast croaky voice and stretched out: 'whhhhhyyyyy'. Shes always saying stuff in that voice, a la Greta Garbo - 'I vant to be alone!' (the 'I'm not happy' one was the best).
Examples of Evie Whys:
Me: 'Evie its time to put your boots on so we can go to kindy'
Evie: 'Why.'
Me: 'Evie can you help me find your cup so I can get you that drink you want?'
Evie: 'Why, no.'
Me: 'Evie, do you need to go to the toilet?'
Evie: 'Why.'
Me: 'Evie sweetheart, do you want a cookie?'
Evie: 'Why.'
I stare at mummy, all blank like, like dis.
Evie's automatic answer to EVERY SINGLE QUESTION in our house that is directed at her is met with either one or more of the following: 'Why', 'Why, no' or 'yeaaaaahh'.
At first I would be all like 'what do you mean 'why?', you have been asking for a cookie for what feels like a month crammed into an hour'. Or confused like '...because we need to go to kindy... that.. place.. you want.. to .. go..?' And she would just stare at me blankly while I'm miming hanging myself or pulling my hair out all crazy like, jumping from foot to foot.
Simon has started dealing with it differently now, he just breaks out an Evie toned 'yeah' after she says it and the conversation just... ends. So I'm trying to do that and just, you know, let it go, all zen like. Be a leaf on the wind, etc.
Because, ultimately I'm not sure miming myself being hung up or pulling my hair out is actually kind of good mentally for the kids to see.
sometimes it's maddening! my girl loves to ask why once and again!!!
ReplyDelete