We have been patiently waiting for some money to free up before going and splurging on our new plants, but now we are ready to go! I have also been perusing the local twilight market each Friday after work and managed to pick up a jalapeno plant for $2 and a tomato seedling (although, it was rather large) with four basil around it for $4. Score!
Here is our plan for the rest of the plants:
Tomatoes - We use these a lot and after seeing last years fruiting
plants in action, I reckon about 4-5 would do. Hopefully they don't succumb to blight like last year!
Capsicums - or bell peppers if you are in the States. We buy
one of these weekly to use in meals, so I would like to save the $1-3 we have
to fork out for these beauties and have a real go and growing them.
Lettuce - We buy bags of lettuce and I hate them. they
always smell funny, perhaps its the way they are preserved, I don't know. Also, I will shamefully admit that I don't even like lettuce and it seems the older I get the more I hate it! But, we do use it in meals, and in occasional lettuce based salads and burgers etc. I think
we can grow a few lettuces and keep us stocked enough for what we need. Perhaps
we can look into Rocket and spinach etc, as I don't mind that stuff.
Carrots - We barely ever use them but its something I would
like to use more. It is a veggie that should be reasonably easy to grow for the kids and I make killer carrot cupcakes.
Strawberries - We have a good couple of plants and I'm going
to leave them be and see if they fruit better this year with some TLC and some
good feeds. Our strawberry plants have been destroyed by cats pooing in the pots. Does anyone have any good ways to keep our rodents cats off the garden!?
Mint - I know we can grow mint well so that is going in again
this year. We will buy a couple of varieties since I plan on using this more now
though, (especially since I've found a good mint julip recipe!) Also I would love to get some of the chocolate mint stuff mum and dad have growing in their garden.
Rosemary - our first rosemary effort was pathetic. It never
grew from the seedling it was and died fairly soon into the summer. But Simon
uses it a lot in cooking and I would really like to get some growing.
Oregano, basil, chives, parsley and thyme - this all seemed to work in the past, and I have really missed using this stuff fresh in cooking - it was the freaking cats again and some weird mite like creatures.
Some other stuff I would like to look into is some
wildflowers, and edible flowers like chamomile or perhaps some pansies and
marigolds. I love lavender so if I have a pot left I might look at sowing some
from seeds.
Have any of you just planted your garden for the spring summer and have great tips to share?

I've just planted my garden, well tomatoes, garlic and lettuce (I also have parsley year round). See if you can find the disease resistant tomato plants or plant them in a completely different area, coz changes are the fungus will be in the soil.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip Fen. I figured as much about the tomatoes actually, someone must of told me the same advice previously. They were in pots before so I have made sure to empty and clean out the old pots.
DeleteActually, I'm not sure if it was blight or something else to do with how shit last summer was. it basically was just humid and damp the entire time.
Marigolds are great for keeping pests at bay ( not cats unfortunately for that try citronella oil and kitty litter) and the reason that some of your things in pots died early may possibly be the fact that pots retain heat and dry out quickly. Also try giving them a feed as they are trapped in that tiny environment and can run out of nourishment.
ReplyDeleteWe have got 6 little seedings of marigolds! And some seeds too for the kids to grow and plant in the front garden.
DeleteWe were looking at Dogwood yesterday, had any experience/luck with it?
Actually our pots did REALLY well all summer, except for the tomatoes which got diseased or hated the humidity... I'm not sure which. All the other stuff did pretty good and got some good harvests off of them. It was definitely a case of keeping them well fed and watered though.
With the little plot we are planting I fear we will have the opposite problem now though! the soil is very much clay like and I think we might need to improve it before we plant our seeds and veges.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete