Jul 9, 2012

BEFORE YOU WERE BORN

Since moving over to here I have missed having the backlog of writing, especially all that writing about the kids, not in one spot. So slowly over time I would like to post some of my favourite posts from over there, here.

Here is one of them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted : WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 4, 2010

Me and ZJ

Dear beautiful babies of mine,
Before you were born...

I was a good kid. I didn't rebel until I was about 24.

I had pink hair (probably the beginning of this rebellion of mine).

Had dreams of being a photographer and was a self portrait artist. I was even published in a couple of books.

Lived in the Faroe Islands for a year. It was by far the best and the worst experience of my entire life.

I lived in a crazy hostel where boys used to run up and down the hallways high on drugs and slide down the roof on a big inflatable blue couch.

Fell in love, five times.
First to a boy who hurt me in more ways than I hope you will ever know. Second time was with your dad even though it would be 13 years until we got together properly. The third time i gave my heart away to a wonderful boy in the Faroes who I still think of with a smile. The fourth time with a boy who was wrong for me in so many ways and the fifth time to a man I would later marry in my back yard.

Which brings me to another thing...I was married to a man who wasn't your father (actually at the time of this post, I still am married to a man who is not your father). The day I got married I was hungover but very happy. I had bare feet and little blue dried flowers in my hair. I wore rainbow socks to the reception.

Got drunk with your Aunt Zoe in Dunedin and sang the Brittany Spears version of 'I Love Rock n Roll' at the top of our lungs as we walked home on a frosty Dunedin night. A couple of mornings later, at 5am, I ran up the same street in my socks and PJs to where your dad was living and tried my best not to tell him I loved him as I said goodbye.

I spent nights playing Rockband and drinking [probably too much] rum and coke in a foreign country with your Uncle Scratch and Aunty Jade (none of which, by the way, are their real names).

Had a collection of corsets.

I spent 10 years of my life living through clinical depression and only got pulled out of it by decent medication and the husband-who-is-not-your-dad. I hope you never feel this way.

Danced in the rain on the streets of New Orleans.

Made more major mistakes than I can count on my fingers and toes together.

Lost someone who left a hole in my heart so large that sometimes when I'm alone I can't help but smile and cry and beg to gods I don't even believe in.

Got tattooed and loved every painful second of it.

Spent some of the best nights of my life simply just cuddled up with your dad watching How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and falling asleep to the theme song of Flight of the Conchords.

So kids? in 15-20 years time, when you look at me... your tired-looking-crusty-old-fashioned-out-of-date mother, I hope I still remember that once upon a time I had pink hair and danced in the streets.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing. If I could read something like this from my mother... it would be a Mastercard Commercial kind of Priceless.


    (I hope you have MasterCards 'Priceless' advertisemetns over there, else this wont make much sense, but you get me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the original posts? You can import most stuff over these days.

    ReplyDelete